24 November 2011

Grateful or Greedy kids Over Christmas?

Greedy or Grateful Kids

I started my christmas shopping the other day, the town was busy, kids everywhere dragging there parents into the shops saying i want this, i want that.. Firstly i didnt really read into it much, but then when i was queued up in boots after getting smellies for my old man when i heard this kid stamping his feet saying, "But, Mom, I’m the ooooonly one in my class who doesn’t have an iPad!" I glanced over, expecting to see a teenager with shaggy hair and braces, but instead I saw a child no older than 8 years old. iPad, really?

 "Look, kid, I don’t even own an iPad," I wanted to say at the boy. But I didn’t, of course, and went back to minding my own business.You know christmas shopping isnt going to do itself now is it.

Later that night, I went home, still thinking of that kid demanding an ipad, it made me think of the technology the kids have nowadays compared to what i had when i was young.  They are lucky really and dont realise it..

Young kids nowadays have too much to choose from when i was young we had yoyo's cassetts and poggs and if you made a scene in public then you would have got the belt or got hit....

 Ahh, what a world we live in. We chide the generations behind us for being so greedy and ungrateful, but really, are we doing a much better job? 

With Christmas approaching, I found myself especially annoyed by our society’s lack of gratitude. I poked around and asked friends who have children and find out what they do to instill a thankful spirit in their kids. Here are a few ideas they came up with:

  1. Make a Gratitude Tree. This can be done using a variety of material, from real tree branches to a plastic tree. Have your children cut out leaves from construction paper. They must write something they are thankful for before hanging the leaf on the tree. This can be done all year long or just the month of Christmas.
  2. Make a Gratitude Journal. Purchase a journal for each of your children (check craft stores or department stores) and have them write in it each night before bed. Then share thoughts with the family over dinner.
  3. Reach Out. We took my kids to an event last week and served the homeless breakfast. It was quite an eye opener for them, and for me as well. I explained to them on the way there that for many of the people who would be coming, this might be the only meal of their day, or maybe even their week. We drove home somber and thankful for simple things like a warm bed and a hot shower.
  4. Get in the Practice of Writing Thank You Notes. In an age of entitlement, nothing is nicer than a hand written thank you note. Even preschool children can scribble their name or a picture. Some parents go above and beyond and take a picture of the child with the gift. A few simple words can go a long way.
  5. Say It. Start by practicing your “thank you's” everywhere you go, whether it be the doctor’s office, the grocery store, the hairdresser or your kids’ school. When they see you saying it, they’ll start saying it, too.
How do you encourage your kids to be grateful, not just at Christmas, but all year long?

No comments:

Post a Comment